July 9, 2020

Twisted Wonderland, Chapter XIV- Truths Always Have a Way

    'Has anyone else... ever seen this?' He'd think upon her query a moment. There had been others, but none who could possibly hope to appreciate what it was he offered... they didn't understand, lifeless dolls he command so easily; puppets on a string. 

     "-You're the first, hopefully not the last... I was speechless when I heard this place was for sale. I recall visiting often, when I was a child. When I heard they closed, something that rocked it to its core... it went into complete debt to the bank. But when I finally came up with the money, I just had to save it from its own death... at least, this particular place..."

    Many times Jervis came to escape, when the real world became too much to bear. When he needed escape- to a place beyond his own mind, here he found his solace. Flicking his tongue over his teeth, he drew out a seat for her, fussed with finding the proper selection of tea and treat for their stay; 'Wonderland' would simply not be complete without its share of delights. 

    Even now, he couldn't imagine others coming, ruining the sanctity of the place; no, it was only for him- and those he cared about. While she was no Alice, he knew her to be something else- he would smile distantly when he glanced over "-You remind me of the Queen, Red or Heart... most assuredly a Queen. And so, Your Highness, which would you prefer? Black or White Tea?" 

    As Jervis spoke, Vendetta listened to the unspoken. He hadn't meant it completely- perhaps he meant to keep it to himself- but there was only one he truly wanted to share it with, the woman he loved, Alice... his Alice. Pushing thoughts of her aside for now, slightly reluctantly to be fair to his current guest, he fussed over the cabinets which appeared to have been installed, crammed near a populated wall with various mushrooms and fungi. 

    Vendetta settled in, and let him fuss the intricacies. Annoyance overtook her, at a certain phrase 'hopefully not the last...' She didn't want him to share, oddly enough; except maybe if he ever found his Alice. Not even she dared interfere in that desire. For the most part, however... she wanted this to be theirs alone. Still, when she picked up on his stray thought- that she was no Alice- sadness and anger, driven by that dæmon of inferiority, clawed her. That distant smile of his was met with an icy, expressionless smile from her in turn. 

    Her voice dropped. Taking the teapot, she replied, with a touch of bitterness "I am no Queen, merely a monster. Vampyre. I drink blood; but black tea shall suffice." She poured an ink-dark liquid out, forced smile on her lips. Vendetta wound up preoccupied, thinking herself unremarkable. She was- beyond novelty. Biting her lip to keep emotions in check, she sipped from a blood-red glass cup. It held to no avail: Sadness writ all over her, he intuited what she thought.

    When the tea was finally produced, he returned to the table, taking his own seat while he listened to her remark, 'I am no Queen, merely a monster. Vampyre. I drink blood; but black tea shall suffice' he could remedy it, dry the tea leaves with the sanguine? If there was a way, he would find it. 

    "-Don't be silly- I myself, far as I know have never met an actual Queen... There was that one time..." thinking on the man in Drag "-But that was something else... What I mean to say, is that if I've ever met anyone Queen-like, it certainly is you. Regal, with such fancy dress, and not to mention your home... Here I thought my place was spacious… you certainly blow me out of the water" he added quite honestly, while pouring himself a cup from the steaming liquid. 

    Repressing a sigh, Vendetta merely shook her head. You don't understand, Jervis. Maybe one day you will yet. Her expression, no matter how well she covered it, was cause for alarm. After a moment Jervis's brow knit together. He rose from his seat, jittering the table slightly with his movements- the china clinked together. Taking the seat to the right of her, strayed from his tea for now, he touched her hand gently with his own, enclosing it between gloved digits. "-You mustn't be so hard on yourself; if anyone should, it ought to be me... I've looked past all that, especially when I've managed to hold the interest of company like your own..." he smiled.

    Vendetta wanted to tell him they both played a twisted game of obsession and pain. She was likely led to him to smile, covering a broken heart, when he forgot her and found his happiness, Alice and Wonderland- if such a thing existed. Which she was sure did. It happened plenty of times. None of these words would leave her mind, let alone her lips. Still, she sipped quietly from her cup, and let him take her hand. 

    "For all I have, what good is it without anyone to share it with? Perhaps that's what I need- company. It's hard to find someone willing to walk eternity."

     "-Have you ever thought on sharing that time with another immortal? That way their will be no lengthy changes to a person... it simply will be. Besides..." he began, rocking back in the chair, thumbs twiddling idly, "-People struggle every day for immortality they can never have... I'm sure there are plenty who would fall for what you are, and what you have to offer..."

    Idly Vendetta listened, floating through emotions as he spoke- unable to repress a smirk. Of course they would. Nearly all mortals did. Their obsession... it was why she- and all like her- kept quiet. If all were immortal, the world would fall. This is why it was selective.

    She nodded, and settled her head against his shoulder. "Maybe you're right, perhaps I'm too hard on myself. You're quite sweet, do you know that? The darkest Saint I've ever met~" Playfulness laced her words. "It's almost a shame you love another. We could make a Gothic Wonderland, if we so wanted..." Her voice trailed off, laughing softly from relief, nerves- many feelings, really. She sighed softly, not wanting to move. He felt nice beside her, comfortable... Vendetta closed her eyes, she becoming quite relaxed.

    If she spoke on it, he might have agreed. Jervis led an estranged life, filled with a bevy of wonderful friends and companions; some fictional, some not. All offered their difference. His heart was for them all, he couldn't decide- even if he wanted to. Some he obsessed over, others like the Lady he respected, others he cared for, wounded birds. For now he played the part in Sainthood- though he could hardly be considered as such. Scores of victims he left in his wake would attest to that, if they had the means to voice opinion.

    Comforting herself, resting her head on his shoulder, a smirk masked with hidden laughter when she confessed him sweet. "-I don't know about all that... but thank you, all the same..." Even while she continued, discussing what they could have, he sighed, drifting back slightly. 

    "-I will admit, I think a part of me will always belong to you, you've captured me Vendetta... the only person I can truly be myself around without fear of misunderstanding... I..." This made Vendetta smile. She felt validated. As she revelled, an idea formed, making her nervous. Could she...? Why not, but would he... A pause, and he'd rock forward once more, jarring the seat only slightly, but hardly shifting her weight.

    "-I... know of something. Someone... a thing from childhood. I thought he was smoke and mirrors, a trick of my warped mind... I might like to introduce you one day. I don't know his name, not his real one... some rule against surrendering it to mortals, for fear it would be used against him. But you're different- perhaps you could grasp those hidden little details..." He declared, slender gloved fingers gripping the edge of the table. "-Of course, naturally this wouldn't be the end of us. I won't let you go that easy." He added, slate grey eyes glinting with a sort of wicked glee... 

    "I've thought about it. Most immortals are jaded, arrogant- the wrong kind of insane. As for humans, they're why I keep silent. Lest we be exploited, used- discarded for death once we outlived our usefulness... This immortal, though- for you... I would love to meet him one day." She smiled, mind drifting away, just a little bit… Once more, that steely edge, deadly, harder… what was that about?

     "And here I'd be afraid you'd want to be rid of me~" She let out a breath she didn’t know, nor had need of, she had been holding. Vendetta sat up, moving to face him. She looked at him... in the light, she was dark, yet oh so beautiful.. And close... Dangerously close... 

   "I feel like, maybe... if I play my cards right... This could last a very long time, if not eternity..." Jervis could reply, Vendetta leaned in- and closed her eyes. Her lips met his. She took a plunge- one there was no turning back from. Vendetta was terrified she made a mistake... but had hope. And right now, she hoped he would return the sentiment- or at least, not make her leave, never to see him or Wonderland again… 

 Chapter XV- Icefire Kiss, Unexpected Twist

Friends and Followers