July 8, 2020

Twisted Wonderland, Chapter VI- A Story and a Warning

    Strange, had he become comfortable around her? Something about Jervis seemed... different. Vendetta couldn't quite place what... Wanting to stay, the offer delighted her; yet anxiety came, in thinking of her... special needs, one could say. Given she had no idea where she was, how to return home- she decided it best to remain a night or two. Fluid, she took to her own teacup- soon, more tea steamed out, red vanilla this time.. but slightly thicker... redder.. 

    "If you will have me, then I shall for a night or two. I've travelled to who-knows-where, it seems... Thanks to wanderlust, I've become lost... In return, though- tell me all you know about this place, where I seem to have ended up." She sipped the too-red tea, keeping it closer- more so than the cups previous. Curious... "Yourself, too bold? No, I think not. I've been accustomed to far more forward- and far more... lecherous." 

    Tetch sipped his tea, noting the iciness of her smile. And noticing colour flushed to her skin finally- Overall, she remained blanched, but less deathly pale- porcelain human now. She even had the tiniest flush in her cheeks, lips pinked a little. Interesting- some kind of medical malady? Very intriguing... As was the vulnerability he could sense.

    More conversation, with the promise of her staying, seemed a fair trade to him. Here Tetch began, slender fingers perched along the brim of his cup, "-Ah, yes, Gotham... It’s a city like any other- on the outside, at least. Beneath its candy coating, danger lies in the sky, and below one's feet. In every street and shadow, criminals lie. Politicians and Police are corrupt; the rich get richer while the poor get poorer. It is held in tenuous balance. I find, however- the best way to understand, is to experience it yourself.” 

    "Sounds like a place of intrigue- you had my interest. Now, you have my attention." As she nibbled, she wondered- had she overstepped? Would she wind up akin to the woman she had seen? For a moment, the thought echoed in her features- but she settled. Never- she could handle anything encountered here. Or so she believed… But the thought plagued her mind. Once more she looked to the unforgiving snows, thinking perhaps she should have stayed home- in a world she crafted, culminated, controlled. Then again, boredom set in- wanderlust became her. Holding her vivid tea before her, she regarded him- as if sizing him up, measuring silently in some manner. 

    Tetch seemed casual about it all, gently waving it away ”—Keep to the laws and you’ll stay off the radar, or at least…” he began, that malicious smile appearing on his curiously handsome face ”—don’t get caught,” A small smirk, and he’d settle back, his tea cup still perched between slender digits, pinky out as habit. Still he would continue ”—Besides that, you ought to be okay as long as you’re with me… I have a bit of a name around here, not that I like to brag… simply stating a fact, criminals have a tendency to think twice about trying to pull anything on me- though others think me a Fool...” he concluded rather simply, taking a sip. 

    Vendetta nodded, tensed beneath the lacquer she built up once more. "Interesting; a stormy city full of darkness and rife with criminal corruption... That is good to know, I chanced upon good company. Yet I believe I can hold my own." She sketched as she listened and spoke, an image slowly blossoming to life. "I think you not a Fool- rather, I find you intelligent and thoughtful; rare, in my experiences. Still, should anything end up amiss..." Here, she smirked- and he could see malice, hardened by experience in whatever vices she held. A smirk that set him off "...You can't say you weren't warned."

Chapter VII- Cracked Veneers and Much To Think Upon

Friends and Followers