July 10, 2020

Crimson Creations- Chapter 5

    "Alright, its a date then. I'll be there as soon as I can." Waving back as Vendetta made her exit, Toshiro was left with a smile he thought would never fade. His gaze dropping to the counter, realizing her error, he quickly looked back to the glass door- but she already disappeared into the night. Gently setting her coat aside, he sat the package along with her coat in the safe behind the counter, making a mental note to take it with him.

    To his near-immortal dismay, time seemed to pass at a snail's pace. All he could think about was seeing Vendetta again on their date... A date! He still couldn't believe someone like her would take an interest in him. A few customers visited the store- either to pick up their orders or to browse his wares. Each and every one had commented on the smile that graced his face and his attire. One even jokingly asked if he had a date, to which Toshiro nodded happily.

    The clock chimed as it hit the top of the hour, nearly causing the male to jump in joy. Taking out his keys to lock the storeroom, he then made sure that the safe was locked tight before grabbing Vendetta's coat. Turning off the lights as he went and turning the alarm system, Toshiro took one last look around before walking out into the cool night air. Soon, he was on his way. How long had it been since he was last on a date?..

~

    While that was happening... Vendetta had gone ahead, taking the time to set up a bunch of things- for she had no idea what Toshiro would want to do. There were many possibilities, and she wanted everything to go smoothly. Something about him fascinated her. Maybe, in her own way, she was starstruck. Toshiro had been the reason Vendetta tried her hand at art to begin with. His elegant pieces spoke to her in a way that- at the time- the masses were not ready for. Even more than that, those sparkling emerald eyes and that passion really called to her. She'd never really met anyone so sweet, either. That's why Vendetta wanted to make sure this went right...  

~

    Walking at a brisk pace through the cold autumn night, all he could think about was seeing Vendetta again- aided by her scent lingering on her coat. And making sure this stayed safe; he'd placed all sorts of cloaking enchantments on it, but still avoided people to be safe... Before he knew it he was standing outside of Ambrosia, another of Venice's shadowy gems. Quickly adjusting his tie and smoothing out his blazer before entering, Toshiro was greeted by the maitre d' who looked him up and down intently. Toshiro had begun to worry that maybe there was a dress code he wasn't meeting. Though that worry quickly faded as the man spoke.

    "Ah, you must be Lady Iceflame's friend. She told me to be on the look out for a gentleman with those cuff links. Right this way, sir." Toshiro was led upstairs, to the private room on the third floor Vendetta reserved- just for him. Candlelight flickered everywhere, giving her a really lovely glow. They had a lovely table, with a gorgeous view of the city- and beyond, the ink-dark ocean glittering with moonlight. Silently following, his smile grew as he laid eyes on her, somehow seeming even more beautiful then she had a few hours earlier.

    "You left your coat at the shop, I figured you would want this returned." Taking his seat, his gaze never left her- wanting this moment to last forever, as he presented her items. "I hope you haven't been waiting long on me."

    Vendetta raised her glass of dark liquid- red wine, but he could smell... blood? Interesting- she was like himself. How did he miss that? She sipped from the crystal goblet, then grinned, as Toshiro sat with her. "Not long at all, my dear. I do hope you like what I've chosen. Ambrosia is one of the few places in the city, where all tastes can be met."

    Just because it was the finest place in the city, didn't matter so much. As Toshiro took a look at their wares, Vendetta had her glass refilled- and soon they were alone. "You know, I must confess- I was rather shocked when you agreed. Somehow, I thought you'd already be taken by some lucky lady... or gentleman. Or several lovers- I don't discriminate." A laugh, then another sip, as she studied him... thoughts of things she wanted to do, sweet and wicked alike, played in her mind's eye...

    "This is a lovely place, though truth be told... where we are isn't nearly as important as who I'm with." He still couldn't believe he met such a phenomenal artist, let alone someone whose works he followed so closely. Her pieces seemed to have the same passion and emotion of the ones that had inspired him to take up painting so many years before. Beyond all that... here he was, on an actual date with this remarkable woman. Whatever god had blessed him with such an opportunity was dearly in the need of his worship.

    "As to your other comment... I haven't been in a relationship since I was still a painter. She was a dear, always there to help me push forward- even when the public opinion dropped. She took it pretty hard when I decided to retire, even tried to convince me to reconsider. But my stubborn mind was already made up. Not long after, she told me that she couldn't be with someone who could give up on their dreams. Since then... I just haven't been on the look out for another relationship, instead I've devoted myself to my store using it to leave a mark on the art world in my own way."

    Vendetta listened, fascinated, as he shared his tale. "I share her sentiment, whoever she was. Like I alluded to before- the world lost someone truly great, before they had time to appreciate your style. Still, if the heart is not there..."

    A light blush crept across his cheeks as he realized he had once again rambled on in front of her. Picking up his glass filled with much lighter liquid, he took a sip of blood before refocusing his gaze, taking the opportunity to ask a question of his own. "What about you? As such an amazing beauty and incredible artist I'm sure you must have a long line of suitors pining after you." Unspoken as it was, Vendetta immediately understood what Toshiro really wanted to know.

     Leaning back, she sloshed her drink around in its glass. Vendetta's face... the only thing visible, heartbreak. Sadness, as if Toshiro brought up something painful. "You would think... But the truth is... Never. Not even with the Twins- though I have reason to believe they want to ask." She shook her head gently, a more serious tone taking over. "Virtually everyone who ever showed any interest in me, was after either the glossy lifestyle... or someone they could control." Her last five words sent a chill down his spine.

    Watching as Vendetta's expressions changed after the question had left his lips, Toshiro wanted to apologize- and change the subject. She began speaking before he could formulate the words. Listening to her explanation, he shivered as the chill ran down his spine... and the whole atmosphere seemed to change with her words, for a single moment. Strong emotions, washing over him, drew him into despair. He had never felt something so raw, so powerful before... and just like that, it faded as she smiled once more. He wanted to talk about how horrible people could be, how they had been fools for trying to use or control her. But after with it seemingly being a painful subject maybe it was best to just talk about something else. Thankfully, she seemed to agree. 

    "It's strange, really- when I first got into the arts, I knew of your works. They were the reason I even tried to paint, to write, to create music... And I was stunned at my own success. One I very much attribute to you. When I learned you were stepping away... my heart broke. I gathered as many of your works as I could, before they disappeared- and even now, they grace my estate. So you can imagine my surprise when I crossed paths with my idol- and he agreed to share time with me!" Laughter rang out, clear and melodic and beautiful like her. 

    Smiling brightly as she talked about how he had inspired her to try her hand at so many things, there were no words for the sheer ecstasy. "I can't put into words just how happy it makes me, to hear that my art inspired someone so truly gifted. I have to say, I've been following your work for quite some time. Your paintings are very reminiscent to those that inspired me to come to Venice and become an artist. The raw emotion, passion practically jumping from the canvas itself... I honestly can't get enough of it. I was star struck when you came into my shoppe- and I still can't believe I'm here spending time with you." Laughing softly, finding her so easy to talk to. It had been far too long since he had a real conversation that wasn't about work.

    Vendetta delighted in Toshiro's happiness. His words brought a serenity to her spirit, a pleasure nothing else had matched in the centuries of her life. She laughed with him, as they enjoyed one another's company. "I'm shocked you've been following my works! Well, then, I suppose we equally good taste!" Content, she sighed.

    "I've been in Venice a long time... The rich history is basically unparalleled. A true artist's paradise. That being said... it's a beautiful place, don't get me wrong. It just has to share with Japan in my heart. You ever been?"
 Asking him that question, recalled the moment in the shoppe- the elegant geisha bow. How would Vendetta know that?

    "I was living in Japan before deciding to come to Venice to come to study under the city's great artists. It was in Japan that I took my first steps into the art world. Not many know, but I started off learning calligraphy- Sosho style, to be exact. Even when I moved to Venice, I would still do some calligraphy from time to time in order to ease my mind." Toshiro found it so easy to open up to Vendetta, it was quite nice to have someone to talk to like this.

    Thinking back to the bow, and just how flawlessly she had performed it- it was here, where Toshiro made his mistake. "You know, I would have never thought the famous Vendetta Iceflame might have been a night artisan previously in life. You must've been a favourite of the men in Japan."

Chapter 6

Friends and Followers